As you may be aware, Moab City and Grand County has issued a moratorium on all SxS events for 6 months.
They have denied our permit for 2021 and we made the choice to move our headquarters to San Juan County in order to be able to continue the Rally. We are still permitted with the BLM and are able to run all the trails we have been able to in the past years.
We received a letter from the Grand County council making us aware of a new ordinance with a civil penalty of $10,000 per day if we proceed with the event in 2021.
The actions of the County Council have far-reaching effects of more than just the rally, if we “give in” here it will only get worse for OHV’s and the off-road community in general.
In talking with attorneys and trail preservation groups, we all agree that Moab and Grand County are overreaching their boundaries and singling out the SxS community and of course the Rally.
We are not going to back down and are diligently doing our research on how to best respond to the Council’s actions. To this end, we are postponing our registration for 2021 until February 1st.
Since the start of this event in 2011, I have had the pleasure of getting to know hundreds if not thousands of you all and the off-road community has always felt like one big family. The time to band together is NOW and we need to fight for our rights. Once we have a plan in place, we will update you all on our course of action and potentially ask for some fundraising to help with legal costs.
We are committed to holding the Rally in 2021, so keep the dates open (May 11-15, 2021) and we will update you as this effort transpires.
Lanse and Sean
ROTR Ltr – Findings of Impact-Denial of 2021 Permit – SE Permit Req Grand County 12-15-20
Attachment 2- Ord. 597 Special Events Permit Amendments
Attachment 3 – Ord 617 Admin Hearing process (2020)
Attachment 1- Res 3245 Joint City County ATV Moratorium Fully Signed